Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The tunnel of death

About a year ago I started having some wicked headaches.

I would categorize them in the I'd-rather-chop- my-head-off than have this headache category. I'd say we had a few stressful things happening around our little house about the same time, so my doc said its probably stress induced. Well when the scull-pounding-knive-seeking headaches didn't stop for weeks on end, the doc said lets send you do get an MRI, aka the tunnel of death. Have you ever had an MRI? he asked. Once, and I freaked out BIG time, I said.  He thought I was kidding. Not so much kidding.  I'm not one that is fond of small confined spaces. In fact, not only am I not fond of them, I HATE them. We had to get to the bottom of these headaches so I didn't have much choice but to face my fear of the "tunnel".


The appointment was made and the little "chill yourself out" pill was taken but then they came in to strap me down to the table, head, arm and legs! Oh boy, I did not like that. The test usually was to take about 45 mins. Mine 65. 65 minutes of praying and trying to find some sort of happy place.

A few days later the test results returned.

Cyst
Back of the scull
2.5 cm
Close to optical gland
covering the pineal gland. size of pineal gland 5-8 mm

Not what we were expecting.

The cyst was determined to be non cancerous but "of concern".

So for weeks and weeks I went to different doctors. I seriously felt like the doctors office was my second home. My mind usual goes to worst case scenario, death.   My body tattoos on a smile and keeps movin cuz a pitty party for one is not much fun.

Solution: wait 6 months, redo the mri and see if there has been growth to the cyst.

Friday was my day. Once again into the tube. 6 months flew by.

This time I put on my big girl paints, brought a sleeping mask, took 2 "chill yourself out" pills and was slid in.

Then the waiting game. The stressed ~ out ~ waiting game.

After a long weekend of waiting and wondering, my doc called.

No growth

No change in position

Revisit the tunnel in 6 months. If no change, then it’s a monitoring process once a year.

Halleluiah

I get to keep my long hair. Vain, I know.

Life!  I get to live without some risky surgery.

The headaches are still here. Not as often as they were, thank goodness.

But, I now have a whole lot of something to be happy about!

A whole lot of something to be positive about.

A whole lot of anwsers to some serious prayers.

A whole lots of thankfulness.



10 comments:

Caryn said...

I so glad! I can't believe it's been 6 months already!

The Nicholls Family said...

Mendy, WOW I have not any idea you were going through so much, I am so sorry, but glad to hear things are good. You in my prayers!
If you need more on your plate, PTSO is always waiting for you :)

Andrea said...

thankful indeed! take care friend and have another cake bite to take the edge off. (is that what those to die for treats are called??)

Kate said...

I'm glad the news is good. I'm grateful for the update- I've been thinking about you :)

danandcami said...

YIKES!! Scarey stuff. How do you get rid of the headaches? Do they just leave it if it doesn't grow. Take care of yourself, and your sweet family! We love you!

Jill Ison said...

Oh my... I had no idea. Im sorry headaches are poopy no matter how minor. major is unlivable. So so sorry but glad to hear you get to keep your fabulous hair!!!

Jessica said...

oh wow--that's scary! so glad the news was good news.

The Crouse House said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I too am in a waiting game and will repeat the MRI - Tunnel of Death - in 3 - 6 then 12 months if needed -they cannot tell how long its been there so we will see if it changes/grows! Headache pain is still there - hasn't changed one iota!! Neuro-surgeon man says should be non-cancerous. I could choose surgery or a one time laser radiation zap but either could result in permanent hearing loss and/or permanent facial nerve damage!?! So - playing the waiting game too! My prayers are with you and pray that each day you can manage or that the pain or other treatments can be tolerable somehow. I call it my "just give me the gun now!" when it gets really bad!! :( Hang in there - love ya!

Kristi Nelson said...

Wow Mendy, What a frightening experience for you and your family. Our prayers are with you - keep us posted!

Jolyn said...

Mendy, so sorry you have been going through this especially the headaches! I am the same way with MRIs... I totally freak out! Elevators and airplanes are almost as bad!