Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's whats for dinner tonight

So all that know me know that I love to cook and bake. Not only do I love to be in my kitchen, I love to create or warp recipes into my own little creations. I am so inspired by all those food blogs out there. I have my favorites that I visit on a daily basis to help me create my next recipe. Sometimes when I'm looking for dinner ideas, I'm like huh.. I don't have any of those fancy ingredients! So I've learned how to "dumb" down the recipe to work with my pantry. I really have a secret desire to be in a cooking contest or try to make it on that food channel, maybe someday.

My family loves all things Italian.. pizza, pasta, lasagna, spaghetti, you name it, we love it. I have perfected (in my eyes) my homemade pizza, even sold a few to some willing friends, and have many go to recipes that we love. So I thought it would be fun to post a tried and true recipes my family loves. Its a "go to" on nights like tonight when we had football, scouts, meetings and had to be done before the Olympics started! So I decided to start little. This is a family favorite.. a simple staple.. it's whats for dinner tonight!




Meatball Subs

1 1/2 lbs hamburger
1 pkg onion soup mix
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic
1 pkg sub rolls (I get the fresh ones at WalMart)
2 C Italian sauce (I dress up the traditional prego brand with a little sugar, cider vinegar, fresh basil and garlic)
Fresh Mozzarella cheese

Combine the hamburger with the dry soup mix, garlic and salt and pepper. Roll into balls. Cook in a 2 in frying pan until brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Pour Italian sauce to pan to pick up drippings. Dress up the sauce with any extras (see above) if you desire. Add meatballs back to pan and let simmer for 20 mins. Slice sub rolls (careful not to cut all the way thru) and lightly butter them and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place rolls under the broiler until bread is slightly browned. Remove from oven and place meatballs onto the garlic bread rolls. Add fresh mozzarella and return to broiler until cheese is melted.

Whip these up next time you don't have much time! My family LOVES them. I'd love to hear some new idea's from all my blog friends. What's on your table tonight?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Rock. I am always looking for new recipes. I willl definately try this. Thanks! Kristi

Andrea said...

Looks yummy! I also love The Picky Palate. I had never visited that site until I saw the link on your blog. Fun stuff.

Ronda said...

I have been blog stalking latey to find easy recipes for dinner-I am writing this one down. Thanks for posting.