Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Weekend Goodbye

Our summer started out with a final goodbye to Todd's Grandma Bertha.
We were thankful to be able to go to Preston Idaho for her funeral.

This was our kids first funeral that they attended of a close family member. I am so thankful for the answers that the gospel of Jesus Christ holds. Our sweet kids had so many question that gave us some very tender moments with our children.

Emily was probably the most curious. I hadn't decided if I wanted the kids to go into the viewing or not, for obvious reasons. All the grandchildren and their spouses sang at the funeral so while we were practicing our songs all the little cousins were wondering around. Little did I know that Emily and Ashley had wondered into the casket room. Emily came and got me and wanted to "show" me Grandma Bertha. I was a little shocked. Emily with all the tenderness that only a 6 year old could have, took me by the hand and we sat with Grandma. She was enthralled with her body. We got the chance to sit in silence and partake of the amazing spirit that was there. After a few moments, Emily began to explain to me that Grandma's spirit was already in Heaven and that only her body would go into the ground. I can't even express how thankful I am for her sweet, simple testimony of the plan of salvation. She knew it. She knew that Grandma's flesh was all that was left. She couldn't stop talking about the smile on Grandmas face. She said over and over again, "she must be really happy to be in Heaven".


A few years back a talk was given at General Conference called The Tender Mercies of the Lord by Elder Bednar. This talk rang through my head the whole time. I think often times, some of the Lord's most tender mercies come to those in times of grieving over death. I know that we had some very tender mercies given unto us through the conversations with our children.

I will always be thankful for the knowledge that Heavenly Father will never leave us alone in our times of need. Never. So thankful.
The kids with Grandma Smith

Each grandchild and great grandchildren got to take a few flowers home.

On our way back to our hotel in Logan, we had to stop at one of the most amazing temples.
The Logan Temple. Todd's parents were married here. It's just beautiful! Almost like the Arizona temple.. except this temple is set on a hill and overlooks the city and is green and has real flowers and plants and trees... so I guess the only thing similar is that they're both temples.


Ok...so we had to have a little bit of fun...
and blow off some steam..
and boys will be boys...

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Thank you for the beautiful posting! Give your sweet children hugs for me!

danandcami said...

Thanks for sharing!! I am thankful also for Gospel knowledge! Sorry we missed being with everyone.

Jill Ison said...

when my grandma died a couple years ago, my mom asked me if i wanted to come with to "dress" her for the funeral and my first reaction was NO WAY! i dont want to see a dead body!! but then i thought, theres really nothing creepy about this situation. its just grandma. I am so glad i went. it was a sweet and peaceful moment in time and one I will never forget... but in a good way. I guess what im trying to say is its good for people, even kids to view their loved ones for the last time, as it seems you've found :)

Katy said...

Your pictures are beautiful!

Janet said...

Thanks for such beautiful thoughts - I hope we can all have the same faith that Emily has!

Andrea said...

I love the Logan temple! My parents were married there. I think it is so beautiful.