Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Relief Society Therapy

I recently was released from young women's after serving for 2 1/2 years with great friends and fabulous young women. Before then, I was in primary for a few years. I haven't been to RS for probably 5 years or more. Sunday toward the end of sunday school my felt my palms going a bit sweaty. As I made my way down the hall I could feel all the pressure building. I was feeling like an outsider. Was I going to be required to use a blanket in order to fit in? I didn't want a blanket! Women tend to sit in the same place by the same women. Would I be cramping someones style by taking their chair? I made eye contact with a neighbor and off I went to the chair. Thankfully they let me sit by them! Thanks ladies! One of my greatest friends was teaching the lesson that day so I was so excited to hear her teach. We had chatted about the topic and I had even read the talk she was teaching from. Then boom... pressure again. Do I comment on the lesson? and if I do, I'd better think though my comment really well because there are some stellar women in there that really know their stuff! I couldn't do it. Since when do I have trouble speaking? I'm usually the one that has something to say about everything! I really wanted to come through for my friend, she kept looking at me, but I had nothin! She did awesome even if I didn't come through for her! Why did I over think going to RS? It really wasn't that big of a deal! I saw plenty of smiling faces and got to chat with old friends. I didn't even have to use a blanket! So.. with one Sunday under my belt I'm thinking that next Sunday I won't feel so much like a sore thumb. I'll probably sit on the same side, in the same chair, next to the same friend... without the blanket!

7 comments:

robin said...

Hey I am one of those with a blanket!! I am going to sit by you and make you use one too.

Caryn said...

Once I come back you can hold my baby and use him as a distraction! Glad to have you in there though.

Kate said...

You are so hilarious! All us regulars were just thinking how fun it was to have new (but very familiar) faces in there:)

I was feeling some major commenting pressure. The second I thought of one, my hand shot up before I could stop it! Ergo my slightly weird example.

Katy said...

Do they wash the blankets? Scratch blanket, replace with lumbar support. You're going to need it. I miss RS; I miss u.

Shawni said...

you sure fit right in with or without the blanket! You are so funny. I love RS. So glad to have you in there with us!

Mom and Dad said...

What will YW do without you!!!! I wish I could sit by you in RS....and, no, I do not use a blanket!

This will show up as mom and dad...I have not figured out how to change that

Mom and Dad said...

oops....it is I, Peggy L.