Friday, April 4, 2008

A Sad Day


Tonight Ashley experienced he first heartbreak. Her hamster "Princess" died. After Ashley left for school today I was doing my normal rounds in the kids room when I smelt something gross. Upon closer inspection, I found the poor little thing. I have to admit that I was never a big fan of small creeping animals, still not a big fan, but my heart broke that Ashley's little pet that she spent her Christmas money on, was now no longer. After a quick call to Todd, I had to leave the room. So tonight I took the kids out for ice cream while Todd had the unenviable job of "burying" Princess. When we returned home Todd broke the news to her. She sobbed and it killed me to watch her. We tried to assure her that Princess is in great hands in "hamster heaven" but for now that wasn't enough. We carried her sad body up the stairs where she found her other hamster "Puff" running on the wheel, happy and healthy. Thankfully she and Todd had decided to buy 2 hamsters at the same time so that they could play while she was at school. Good thinking Todd!
This is our second attempted at having a pet. Our first pet was Shayne's. A beautiful white Lab named Bronco. He was a very over active puppy. Shayne and Emily and I loved him but the other girls wouldn't go outside with him out there. So we had the heart wrenching decision to have a dog or let the girls have their backyard back. Needless to say, the humans won. We found a great home for him where I'm sure he is running happy. That was our first experience with pet heartache, it wasn't any easier today watching Ashley.
Thank goodness we can ask for comfort for all things in our lives, no matter how large or small.

2 comments:

Caryn said...

So sorry Ashley, even if your Mommy didn't really love her as much as you did...

Braden still asks where Bronco is.

I did try to shoo the wasps across the street, but they got confused and went to Mauri's instead... oops.

Carrie said...

I think it may have been experiencing post traumatic "sitting on a bald head too long syndrome" SOABHTL. Poor little thing, I am sure you're devastated...what was that quote "they smell like stinky pigs"? No, seriously, tell Ashley so sorry, the little guys just don't last that long. Whitney was sad for her. The good news is... there is about a billion more out there and they all look the same. ; )