Tuesday, May 6, 2008

We Kiss Vienna Goodbye..

Our final day in Vienna was fun! We didn't take a bike tour (Todd's back and the European bed aren't agreeing) but we did take the last of our bus tour. We got to drive over the Danube River







and found another ferris wheel, there is NO way I was going on this creaking old thing!







We also went to a great palace, Belvedere.
We saw orignal paintings of Monet and Von Gogt while escaping the rain. 3 floors of paintings! I guess I've never really appreicated fine art before, I may need to attend a few art masterpiece classes with my kids next year! It was fun though.
The gardens were perfectly manicured. We had a beautiful view of Vienna from the palace. We didn't want to wait for our tour bus to come back so we thought we'd take a walk back to the city center, it didn't look very far. Well, it's a good thing that we were both wearing our walking shoes! We had NO idea where we were! Good thing that I had 2 maps and a map reader with me!!! 2 1/2 hours later, we found a familiar street. Mr. Map Man, doesn't need directions ya know. Needless to say...our feet hurt! We did see some streets and little old markets that we would have never seen otherwise, thanks Todd!!
Our last stop in Vienna was at a gelato shop. We thought we'd better see which Country has the best gelato. London was good...but Vienna puts London to shame! I will never bother going to a gelato shop at home ever again! The gelato at home tastes like dirt compared to here, and we haven't even gotten to Italy yet! We'll cast our final vote after the trip is over.
Tomorrow we leave bright and early to catch our 7 hour train ride to Venice. I can hardly wait to hear Todd talk to all the Italians! We will finally be able to find a bathroom!!

1 comments:

kathy b. said...

Looks like you're getting lots of exercise without the bike tour. The gelato looks yummy. Enjoy your 7hr train ride. Wish I was there. Love you. Mom